Friday, May 6, 2011

Mama's Shadow


One of my favorite Mother's Day gifts from my daughter was the silhouette that they did in first grade.  I'm not sure where I got the idea to take a profile picture of children to make a silhouette/shadow, but it makes it so much easier to make these Mother's Day gifts.  The first year that I did this, I used the light from the projector as I traced around the shadow of my students.  Do you know how hard it is for 1st graders to sit still? LOL!  After messing up a few profiles, I tried taking a picture.  It worked!

I found a poem that fit the occasion and project perfectly.  We made a card, and glued the poem, Mama's Shadow to the inside. Here is the poem:
Mama's Shadow

When I was a kid (you know, last year)
I was like your shadow, always near.

While learning what the world was about
I followed your footsteps day in and day out.

There were so many things I wanted to know.
You answered my questions and helped me to grow.

All too soon Mama I will be grown
And making my way in this world on my own.

When you remember the good times we had
And wish I was with you, don't be sad.

Just stand by this picture and pretend
That I am your shadow once again.
~Wanda Atkinson


It took me forever to attach the poem.  I tried to do it as a document so anybody could print it.  Oh, well!

1 comment: